Happy b-day Jamaica ! | Flag of Jamaica…
Raise your flags high! Today Jamaica celebrates its Independence Day.
It’s also the birthday of the ‘yellow X’ flag which was adopted on August 6, 1962, the day the colony became an independent country.
- Also was it the first Caribbean nation to gain independence from the British Commonwealth in 1962. To this day Queen Elizabeth II remains the Queen of Jamaica but by tradition only.
- Jamaica is not only about Bob Marley, Reggae Music and lighting up some good herbs. As a small nation, it has a lot of influence in the world.
- When you think of this beautiful island, you usually think of the Caribbean and sandy beaches, but you may also think of coffee. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is one of the most expensive coffees on the market.
- Did you know that it was the first country to export bananas establishing a global banana trade? Or that Ian Flemming, the famous author of the James Bond novels, lived there?
- If you haven’t seen the movie ‘Cool Runnings’ by now, you are missing out on a great comedy. The movie with amazing John Candy is based on a true story. Believe it or not, the 1988 national bob sled team was the first tropical country to enter a Winter Olympic event.
Our poster flag shows the beautiful flag with its two yellow stripes intersecting in an X. The black filling in the top and bottom and green on either side makes this flag so recognizable. If you don’t own this cool poster flag already, come and get yours here.
Happy B-day Jamaica !
Did you enjoy this post? Share it! Thanks. ?